Can I Get Help with Driving Lessons?

There are a number of ways you can get help with driving lessons. Here we look at some of the schemes and organisations that can help you along the way.


If you have a disability and want help with driving lessons, you may be eligible for a grant to help with the cost. You can lease a car through the Motability Scheme, but to join the scheme you must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of Child Disability Payment
  • The Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of the Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
  • An Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • A War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement


And then to be eligible to apply for a grant for driving lessons, you must also be claiming one of these:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

help with driving lessonsHow Much Would I Get?

Providing you satisfy both of the above conditions, then you may apply for the grant. If you are successful, the help you receive could cover the cost of up to 40 hours of driving lessons. You will however, still need to pay for the cost of your own provisional driving licence, in addition to paying for the theory and practical tests.

The down-side of this scheme however, is that you don’t get to choose your own driving school. The Mobility Scheme has an agreement with the AA driving school who will provide one of their instructors.

Also, the scheme provider would normally expect you to complete the course of driving lessons within a 12 month period.

In addition to the grant towards paying for driving lessons, the scheme will also help you to fit adaptations to your car should you need these. This could even go as far as having a dual brake temporarily fitted to your car for the period of your training. This would help your driving instructor ensure your safety should anything go wrong, and also help with your own confidence!

Help With Driving Lessons from the Family Fund

Family Fund are an organisation set up to provide help for disabled children. They also run a scheme called the ‘Driving Ambitions Grant.’ Its aim is to help young people to start driving by provided the cost of:

  • Applying for your provisional driving licence
  • Paying for you first theory test
  • Learning materials such as The Highway Code or theory test study books
  • The cost of your first driving lesson

You cannot apply for this grant if you have already started taking driving lessons however. And the cost of any lessons after your initial ‘taster,’ you must pay for yourself.

Help for Care Leavers

If you are leaving care and you are aged between 17 and 25, the Capstone Care Leavers Trust offer grants towards the cost of driving lessons. You must already hold a driving licence to apply for this, in addition to already having passed your theory test.

There are other conditions which you must also satisfy. Visit their website for further information.

Help with Driving for Carers

If you are a carer for someone, you also may be eligible to apply for a grant towards the cost of learning to drive. You should ask your local Social Services department for more information, or visit the Carers Trust website.

Scroll to Top